Teri is back from Anchorage. Even though she didn't win the "Fish Alaska Magazine" recipe contest this year, she returned having had a fabulous time. The competition was held at the Kincaid Grill, owned and operated by Chef Al Levinsohn. Many people at the special event on Sunday knew Teri, but few recognized her at first. Loosing 70 pounds changes every feature about a person. But...she still has that great laugh, and quick smile. When others there finally realized that it was her, she had lots of "I can't believe it"s, and "oh, my gosh, I never would have recognized you"s. I wonder how long it will be until that fades for her, and she ceases to shock people. In the meantime, it's actually great fun being with her when she gets some of these comments. I wish I had a picture of her Alaskan shrimp dish. It sounded like it ended up looking amazing, (and I'm sure tasted grand!), with a red cooked crawfish in the middle of the dish for a dazzling bit of color.

Here, she's preparing and serving her exquisite dish at the '05 competition. Her winning delectable concoction was "Moroccan Style Wild Alaskan Grilled Salmon". (please don't drool all over your keyboard....)

This week, the weather has been incredibly beautiful....the swan song of autumn. Conditions are perfect for "endorphin high" walks, delighting the eye at every turn with the ever-changing colors. Each day, we have been able to get out for a walk together. Yesterday it was through our neighborhood, and up and around the way. We see the Chugach Mts., and cobalt blue Kachemak Bay, eventually taking in views of Mt. Dedoubt and the waters of Cook Inlet, as the road curves up and to the north. Ah, it's good to be alive!
Alaskan fireweed have ended their showcase of summer blossoms. They are now ridding their slender stocks of the seeds, attached to fuzzy cotton down, that drift in the wind.
Wed. was "the Mr.'s" birthday. We celebrated by dining at "Land's End", enjoying the window table and all it's outside entertainment. Even after 30 years, I can't believe that we get to live here with all this overwhelming beauty. Sailboats glided by and children played on the rocky shore. Many Homerites were out for "locals night". All of us are happy to be in our fall routine now, celebrating the tourists returning home, and enjoying the quiet of our 'lil hamlet by the sea.
Midlife birthdays are not about numbers. (how old are you now? I forget...) We pause and remember past birthdays, think of our parents who are not around anymore to share their memories of our childhood. We remind ourselves of all the things to be thankful for.
...and there are so many things!
2 comments:
Birthday season, again! "Happy Happy" to the Mr...my former co-worker, boss, softball coach, favorite drummer, and friend! I thot of you on October 1. Glad that you are enjoying some down time...you deserve it!
happy late b-day my friend. i hope it was one to remember, or at least to try. when i get back we should watch some monk...see you soon
~lani
Post a Comment