.
I'd like to get this blog rolling again....it's been a long time since I've written. Before I can bring things up to date, I need to fill in the gap a bit, and share about our trip in March/April, '10. It was another trip of a lifetime!
A love for great Music has been the common denominator I've shared with fellow choir members these last few years. Four years ago we traveled to Italy, (what a tremendous trip!), and this time to Germany, Czech Republic and Austria. We prepared a wide variety of music to share, from classical and sacred to Jazz.
I'd like to get this blog rolling again....it's been a long time since I've written. Before I can bring things up to date, I need to fill in the gap a bit, and share about our trip in March/April, '10. It was another trip of a lifetime!
A love for great Music has been the common denominator I've shared with fellow choir members these last few years. Four years ago we traveled to Italy, (what a tremendous trip!), and this time to Germany, Czech Republic and Austria. We prepared a wide variety of music to share, from classical and sacred to Jazz.
We fly to Frankfurt, Germany, and then travel on to Berlin, to meet the rest of the group.
Yay, all of our luggage arrived, too! (in Italy, I survived without my suitcase, until day #11, when it finally caught up with me.) We meet up with Kathy and Polly, and then the rest of the travelers from home. How wonderful to see them all, exhausted, but so ready to begin our adventure together!
This is our first day in Berlin, singing together at the American Church in Berlin, where we were warmly greeted as part of their Sunday service.
Afterwards, we toured the city, first visiting a small portion of the Berlin Wall that is still standing, once dividing west Berlin from east.
Next, it was "Check-point Charlie's" (Checkpoint "C"), the most famous boarder crossing from the East to the West.
On to the Brandenburg Gate, thought to be Berlin's most famous monument. What a rich history it has, from the late 1700's when it was first constructed, through Napoleon's time, Prussian rule, WW2 Nazi occupation, and finally the place of the famous speech by Ronald Reagan in June of 1987, demanding the tearing down of the Berlin Wall, to Russian leader Mikhail Gorbachev. His spoke with the Wall between he and the Gate, soon to be torn down, just 5 months later.
Visiting the Holocaust Memorial, just 1 block from the Brandenburg's Gate.
Next, we traveled to the Kaiser Wilhelm Church, once a beautiful spired Church, damaged by WW2 allied bombing in 1943. We stopped to sing, "What a Wonderful World", which quickly became the theme song for our trip, in a multitude of ways.
and then, on to the new Church, next door, (built in 1961), located where the former main nave of the destroyed church had been. The choir performed a couple of songs here, to a handful of tourists meandering through.
Traveling with a group of 125 people may seem complicated at times, but with the excellent leadership of our choir director and his loyal assistants, things went off without a hitch.
After Berlin, we traveled on to Leipzig, where music history runs rich.
Here, we sing at Thomaskirche, (St. Thomas Church), where Johann Sebastian Bach served as the choir director for several years. (1723-1750.) The church was built in 1212, the statue in Bach's honor dedicated in 1908. Bach is buried near the alter of the church.
Martin Luther preached here on Pentecost Sunday, in 1539.
The great acoustics inside the church were unforgettable. We were all very touched by the significant contribution of musical history made here. It was very emotional for many of us.
In May of 1789, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart played the organ here. Napoleon used the church to store ammunition and supplies for war, in the early 1800's. Several years later, the church was used as a military hospital, during the "Battle of Leipzig", where Napoleon was defeated. Nearly 100,000 troops lost their lives during the battle.
We leave Germany and head toward the Czech Republic, past windmills and fields of sugar beet, poppies, hops and cabbage. Tiny villages with steep roofs dot the countryside. We pass the Elber River near Dresdin. It begins to snow.
Prague is a large city, drenched in the beauty of architectural charm, each block bearing stories of the centuries. As we came over the Vltava River, I was captivated by the charm of the place, spires of castles and cathedrals, graceful bridges, overwhelming beauty at every turn. I do believe that it is the 2nd most beautiful place I've ever been, next to where I am blessed to live,
Gary becomes a friend of our tour-guide for the day. We take in a walking tour, and learn of the rich history here.
Taking in The Castle District....Old Town Square. "Church of Our Lady Before Tyn", with it's towering gothic spires, was founded in 1385.
The Charles Bridge, Prague.
Here is the towering St. Vitus Cathedral, part of the Castle District. It's gothic construction began in 1344, and took nearly 6 centuries to complete!
The eve of March 17th, we have a full concert, at a modern Protestant Church, in Prague. The small congregation is full of appreciation for our music, and warmly smiles at us, as they take in our performance.
After lunch, we enjoy singing in the town square together.
Leaving the Czech boarder, and heading into Austria is uneventful.
Heading over the Danube River, into Vienna.
That night, we are treated to a fabulous Austrian dinner, serenaded by live musicians. Vienna at night is breathtaking.







2 comments:
Love seeing all the photos and reading all the memories that went along with them. Makes me almost feel like I was apart of the trip too. Thanks for sharing this with all of us mom. :) And I LOVED the live video too!
the blog is back! yay!
Post a Comment