Wednesday, April 22, 2009

happy earth day


Everyone can do something. There are so many ways that we are wasteful. We are creatures of habit, and often don't think past our own preferences and desires.
We are filling our landfills at alarming rates.
Here are the two simple ways I've committed to being more responsible, this Earth Day, '09.

1.) Cancel all catalogs that I don't absolutely have to have in-hand. Ordering off the internet is much more energy efficient, and I'm more apt to only order things I really need. Without the catalog coming to my mailbox, I save time not thumbing through the glossy pages, and feeling a need for some item that had never crossed my mind before the catalog arrived.
Today, I spent some time dialing those 800 numbers off the backs of catalogs, to cancel. Feels good to free up mind-space, and this way, I'll avoid having to throw stacks of catalogs away every few months.



2.) Take the cloth bag when I go shopping. It's easy, and can over time save our landfills acres of precious land. I plan to keep 3 or 4 bags in the back of my car, so they're ready for my random shopping sprints.

These may be small things, but they add up. What ways might you stretch and change this year? I think we need to act with intention and caring determination, accepting our responsibility for "Earth care".

Organizing my recycling piles might be another spring project I could work on..............

No comments: