We attended the borough school district high school honor choir concert last night, directed by Dr. Janet Galvan, visiting from Ithaca College, in upstate New York. The top singers in the borough were impressive indeed, and they did pieces of a wide variety, in Hebrew, African, Cuban, sacred and gospel flair. One piece that they performed was part of our Italy choir repertoire. All of us adult choir members in the audience found ourselves mouthing the words, as they sung. (Erev Shel Shoshanim)

Erev Shel Shoshanim, is a Hebrew love song, translated “Evening of Roses”, composed in 1957, with music by Yosef Haddar and lyrics by Moshe Dor. “Shoshana” is a Hebrew word that may mean either “rose” or “lily”. The plural is “shoshanim”. “Shoshana” is also a feminine name, which translates to “Susan” or “Suzanne”. This sensuously beautiful song is typical of Hebrew love songs, which often involve myrrh, frankincense, honey, manna and the beauty of love.
Below are the transcribed lyrics.
EREV SHEL SHOSHANIM (English Translation)
"Evening of roses! Let’s go out to the garden.
Myrrh and balsam and frankincense are a threshold for your feet.
Evening of roses! Let’s go out to the garden.
Myrrh and balsam and frankincense are a threshold for your feet.
Night is descending slowly, and a breeze of roses is blowing.
Come, I’ll whisper you a song in secret, a melody of love.
Night is descending slowly, and a breeze of roses is blowing.
Come, I’ll whisper you a song in secret, a melody of love.
At dawn, a dove is cooing.
Your head is full of dew.
Your mouth is a rose to the morning, that I’ll pluck for myself.
At dawn, a dove is cooing.
Your head is full of dew.
Your mouth is a rose to the morning, that I’ll pluck for myself. "
The harmonies are so luscious! Differing colors of their school's choir robes made it easy to pick out the Homer kids. We still know quite a few. It will feel very strange when most are not kids we know someday. Usually, this concert is up in the central peninsula, so this year it was a treat having it in Homer.
After the concert, it was fun seeing many familiar faces in the audience. Here are the jr. Fraleys. The kiddos are getting so big! It's always so fun seeing them!
After the concert, it was fun seeing many familiar faces in the audience. Here are the jr. Fraleys. The kiddos are getting so big! It's always so fun seeing them!
We enjoyed a late night dinner with great friends. T.V. was back from her bizillionth trip south this year. (not to stay for long....sigh...) They will be moving south for the winter, in just a couple short weeks. There's packing to do, and moving most of their belongings to a different location in Homer, before becoming snow birds. I'm glad they can be by the grand kids, though, and close to T.V.'s folks. Still....we will miss you both!!
Teevee...I'm glad you're online as much as I am. We'll stay connected! (you, Shells & I) :-)
2 comments:
I recognize P & T in the last pic...do they actually have GRANDchildren?!!!!!
I remember them goofing off in the ABI bus on the way home from church. We got stalled, and P & T acted out being flight attendants, pointing out emergency exits, etc...they are such fun people!
yes, yes....2 grandchildren!
yes, yes, the funniest kind of people. Love 'em, and I'll miss 'em!
Post a Comment